Posts for tag: restorative dentistry
Find out how crowns and bridges could replace your missing tooth or teeth.
Are you dealing with damaged or missing teeth? If so, you want a dentist you can trust, right? Turn to our Forest Hills, NY, cosmetic dentist Dr. Gregory Mark to help restore your smile the proper way. If you’ve been looking for more information and insight into getting crowns and bridges then you’ve come to the right place. We are here to tell you everything you might ever want to know about crowns and bridges.
What are crowns?
These tailor-made hollow restorations are designed to look like a natural crown of a tooth and they are cemented over a tooth to secure it in place. In order for a crown to be placed, the tooth will need to be prepped. This requires our Forest Hills, NY, dentist to prepare the tooth so that the crown can fit over it.
A crown is a great option for teeth that have been damaged by trauma, infection or decay. A crown is often placed over a tooth that has recently undergone root canal treatment. Of course, a crown can also be used for cosmetic purposes as well. If you have a badly disfigured or discolored tooth a crown may be a better approach for giving you back that beautiful appearance.
Lastly, crowns can also be used to support a dental bridge or to cover a dental implant.
What are bridges?
A dental bridge is placed when there are one or more missing teeth in a row. The bridge requires that the teeth on both sides of the gap are strong enough to support a dental crown. Once the crowns are placed over your teeth the false teeth can then be secured to the crowns to fill that gap.
How long do they last?
While these restorations are durable they don’t always last forever; however, if you maintain good oral hygiene and care for your restoration properly they could last for up to 10 years or more before needing to be replaced.
If you want to improve the health and appearance of your smile then you’ve come to the right place. Let the cosmetic dentistry team at Forest Hills Dental provide your smile with the care it needs to shine. Call our Forest Hills, NY, dental office for an appointment.
Have you been thinking about closing a gap in your smile with a dental implant but aren't sure if you're a good candidate? Forest Hills, NY, dentist Dr. Gregory Mark of Forest Hills Dental explains how you can tell if dental implants would be a good choice for you.
Important considerations when choosing dental implants
Dental implants feel like your natural teeth and offer a long-lasting way to replace teeth. When a dental crown is attached to an implant, the two parts function as one complete tooth. Implants are designed to bond to your jawbone and take the place of your tooth roots. Dental implants may be a good option if:
- You Have a Commitment to Good Oral Hygiene: Keeping your dental implant clean will reduce the risk of infections. A toothbrush and package of dental floss are the only tools you'll need to clean your implant.
- You're in Good Health: After you receive your implant, it will take three to six months for healing and bonding to occur. Certain diseases and health conditions can interfere with healing and affect bonding. If you have diabetes or any other disease that can affect healing or the immune system, it's important to let us know during your visit to our Forest Hills office.
- Your Jawbone is Deep and Strong: Your jawbone must be deep enough to support your implant. If your bone is too shallow for an implant, it may be possible to increase its depth with bone grafts. Grafts will need to be placed several months before your implant procedure.
- You Don't Smoke (or Plan to Quit): Smoking cigarettes and cigars can also interfere with healing. If you continue to smoke after you receive dental implants, you'll increase the risk of an implant failure.
- Your Gums Are Healthy: Healthy gums are a necessity if you're considering dental implants. Even mild gum disease must be treated before you can receive dental implants. If you're replacing a tooth lost due to gum disease, all traces of the disease must be gone before the implant procedure can begin.
Restore your smile with dental implants. Call Forest Hills, NY, dentist Dr. Gregory Mark of Forest Hill Dental at (718) 275-9792 to schedule an appointment.
What your dentist in Forest Hills wants you to know
If you need dental crowns, you don’t have to spend a long time in the dental chair. In fact, you can have beautiful, natural-looking crowns made of high-quality dental ceramic in just one appointment, thanks to CEREC Same-Day Crowns! The crowns are created right in the office while you wait! Dr. Gregory Mark at Forest Hills Dental in Forest Hills, New York wants to share the facts about revolutionary CEREC technology and what it can do for you.
In the past, if you needed a dental crown it would take between two and three appointments. That’s because dental crowns were created in a dental laboratory. This process could take weeks before the completed crown was finally sent back to your dentist.
CEREC combines tooth preparation, measurement and fabrication all in the same technology. Using CAD-CAM computer assisted technology and state-of-the-art imaging; your teeth are precisely measured for crowns. This process results in crowns that fit perfectly the first time, every time. The same CEREC machine then creates an exact match in both color and fit for your new crown.
CEREC has revolutionized dental crown manufacture by providing several unique benefits. Consider that CEREC Same-Day Crowns are:
- Naturally-beautiful, because they are made of sparkling dental ceramic which matches your existing teeth
- Worry-free, because dental ceramic resists stains from tobacco and coffee
- Convenient, because from preparation to placement it only takes about an hour to receive your new crown
- Comfortable, because you don’t have to wear a poorly-fitting, uncomfortable temporary crown while your new crown is being made
- Healthy, because they are a metal-free treatment
- Conservative, because more vital tooth structure is preserved
CEREC Same-Day Crown technology makes it possible for you to restore damaged teeth and create a brilliant new smile in one appointment! For more information about CEREC, please visit the CEREC page on the website at http://www.foresthillsdental.com/cerec.html
You deserve the best dental crowns available, CEREC Same-Day Crowns! Don’t settle for waiting weeks to get your new crown. Instead, call Dr. Gregory Mark at Forest Hills Dental in Forest Hills, New York. Call today to get started on your new CEREC crowns!
Have you been considering dental implants but aren't sure if they're the best option for you? Dr. Gregory Mark, your Forest Hills, NY dentist at Forest Hills Dental, shares some information that will help you make up your mind.
Dental implants offer several important benefits, including:
- Permanence: Titanium dental implants bond to your jawbone, permanently replacing your tooth roots. Once bonding is complete, your dentist will connect a crown to the implant. Your implant can last your entire life, as long as you make good oral hygiene a priority.
- Comfort: Your implant provides a secure foundation for your new crown, which makes chewing very comfortable. Most people report that their implants feel just like natural teeth.
- Jaw Strength: Losing a tooth affects the strength of your jawbone because the bone begins to recede when it's no longer stimulated by your roots. Implants take over for your natural roots to keep your jawbone strong.
- Versatility: Dental implants are a good choice if you've lost one tooth, but they can also be used to replace multiple teeth. Implant-supported dentures are an excellent alternative to traditional full dentures and usually only require four to six implants per arch.
Things To Consider
- Bonding Time: After you receive your implant at your Forest Hills dentist's office, you'll need to wait three to six months for it to bond to your jawbone before you can receive a crown.
- Suitability: Dental implants are not recommended if you smoke or have a disease that can interfere with healing, such as diabetes. You also can't get an implant if your jawbone isn't deep enough, although bone grafts can improve bone depth, in many cases.
Are you interested in dental implants but aren't sure if you're a good candidate? Call Gregory Mark, D.D.S, your Forest Hills, NY dentist at Forest Hills Dental, at (718) 275-9792 to schedule an appointment.
Learn about crowns and bridges from your Forest Hills dentist!
For many people, getting the smile they want is not as easy as it sounds. Restorative dentistry, however, can help you get your smile back. With help from dental restorations like crowns and bridges, you can fill in your gaps, strengthen your chewing surface and completely renew your smile. Learn more about crowns and bridges with Forest Hills Dental in Forest Hills, NY.
What is a crown?
A dental crown covers or “caps” a damaged tooth to protect it from outside elements and the wear and tear of everyday use. Dentists often use crowns to cover a tooth which has undergone a root canal. However, crowns also protect a damaged tooth, restore the biting surface of a worn tooth, hold a dental bridge in place, improve the appearance of a tooth, cover a dental implant and more.
What is a bridge?
Dental bridges fill in a gap in your smile by replacing it with a prosthetic tooth. The bridge, made up of a prosthetic tooth with dental crowns on either side, attaches to the healthy teeth on both sides of the gap to hold it in place. The surrounding teeth receive the crowns and the bridge tooth lies on top of the gum line in the missing tooth’s socket.
How can bridges and crowns work together to help me?
If you feel as though your smile’s gaps or damaged teeth are dragging it down, you can benefit from crowns and bridges. These restorations help restore the look and functionality of your teeth. Most restorations are made from porcelain and last up to 20 years with the proper care. Brushing twice a day, flossing once and seeing your dentist at least two times a year for regular examinations and cleanings will keep your natural teeth and restorations free of decay-causing plaque and tartar and healthy for years to come.
For more information on crowns and bridges, please contact Dr. Gregory Mark at Forest Hills Dental in Forest Hills, NY. Call (718) 275-9792 to schedule your appointment with Dr. Mark today!