What Are the Benefits of Dental Implants?
Have you been considering dental implants but aren't sure if they're the best option for you? Dr. Gregory Mark, your Forest Hills, NY dentist at Forest Hills Dental, shares some information that will help you make up your mind.
Dental implants offer several important benefits, including:
- Permanence: Titanium dental implants bond to your jawbone, permanently replacing your tooth roots. Once bonding is complete, your dentist will connect a crown to the implant. Your implant can last your entire life, as long as you make good oral hygiene a priority.
- Comfort: Your implant provides a secure foundation for your new crown, which makes chewing very comfortable. Most people report that their implants feel just like natural teeth.
- Jaw Strength: Losing a tooth affects the strength of your jawbone because the bone begins to recede when it's no longer stimulated by your roots. Implants take over for your natural roots to keep your jawbone strong.
- Versatility: Dental implants are a good choice if you've lost one tooth, but they can also be used to replace multiple teeth. Implant-supported dentures are an excellent alternative to traditional full dentures and usually only require four to six implants per arch.
Things To Consider
- Bonding Time: After you receive your implant at your Forest Hills dentist's office, you'll need to wait three to six months for it to bond to your jawbone before you can receive a crown.
- Suitability: Dental implants are not recommended if you smoke or have a disease that can interfere with healing, such as diabetes. You also can't get an implant if your jawbone isn't deep enough, although bone grafts can improve bone depth, in many cases.
Are you interested in dental implants but aren't sure if you're a good candidate? Call Gregory Mark, D.D.S, your Forest Hills, NY dentist at Forest Hills Dental, at (718) 275-9792 to schedule an appointment.