Am I a Good Candidate for Dental Implants?
Have you been thinking about closing a gap in your smile with a dental implant but aren't sure if you're a good candidate? Forest Hills, NY, dentist Dr. Gregory Mark of Forest Hills Dental explains how you can tell if dental implants would be a good choice for you.
Important considerations when choosing dental implants
Dental implants feel like your natural teeth and offer a long-lasting way to replace teeth. When a dental crown is attached to an implant, the two parts function as one complete tooth. Implants are designed to bond to your jawbone and take the place of your tooth roots. Dental implants may be a good option if:
- You Have a Commitment to Good Oral Hygiene: Keeping your dental implant clean will reduce the risk of infections. A toothbrush and package of dental floss are the only tools you'll need to clean your implant.
- You're in Good Health: After you receive your implant, it will take three to six months for healing and bonding to occur. Certain diseases and health conditions can interfere with healing and affect bonding. If you have diabetes or any other disease that can affect healing or the immune system, it's important to let us know during your visit to our Forest Hills office.
- Your Jawbone is Deep and Strong: Your jawbone must be deep enough to support your implant. If your bone is too shallow for an implant, it may be possible to increase its depth with bone grafts. Grafts will need to be placed several months before your implant procedure.
- You Don't Smoke (or Plan to Quit): Smoking cigarettes and cigars can also interfere with healing. If you continue to smoke after you receive dental implants, you'll increase the risk of an implant failure.
- Your Gums Are Healthy: Healthy gums are a necessity if you're considering dental implants. Even mild gum disease must be treated before you can receive dental implants. If you're replacing a tooth lost due to gum disease, all traces of the disease must be gone before the implant procedure can begin.
Restore your smile with dental implants. Call Forest Hills, NY, dentist Dr. Gregory Mark of Forest Hill Dental at (718) 275-9792 to schedule an appointment.